Las Vegas Police have reportedly informed Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo to submit a DNA sample as part of the ongoing investigation to his alleged rape accusation made by US Model Kathryn Mayorga.
Ronaldo’s lawyer, Peter Christiansen, played down the significance of the warrant sent to authorities in Italy, confirming to AFP in a statement on Thursday that it was routine procedure.
“Mr Ronaldo has always maintained, as he does today, that what occurred in Las Vegas in 2009 was consensual in nature, so it is not surprising that DNA would be present, nor that the police would make this very standard request as part of their investigation,” the statement said.
Kathryn Mayorga had accused Portuguese forward Cristiano Ronaldo offer raping her in Las Vegas in 2009 prior to his transfer from Manchester United to Real Madrid. The Model filed a lawsuit against the Portuguese forward at Nevada last year.
Ronaldo has maintained that he did not rape the Mayorga, but the US Model alleges that the Juventus forward had bribed her with $375,000 to keep mum about the incident.
Ronaldo’s lawyers have said that the non-disclosure agreement signed with the former model is “by no means a confession of guilt.”
Mayorga’s attorney has previously said that the model agreed to an out-of-court settlement to keep her name from going public but was inspired to go public by the #MeToo movement.